Friday, July 25, 2014


As the political spectrum shifts, suddenly the middle is on the left
The generally conservative Politico ran this very thoughtful commentary recently. 

Click on the link for full text, and here is just a taste to get you interested.

"Bailouts for bankers. When the economic bets made by the wealthiest Americans soured in 2008, the taxpayers picked up the tab….[read more at the link]

Democracy for sale. The wealthy, abetted by the most out-of-touch Supreme Court in many decades, also have been permitted to purchase an outsized voice in American politics….[read more at link]

Gun massacres. I am just sickened by our tendency to accept disturbingly more frequent gun massacres as the price of being an American….


This has all made me shift my thinking, not so much about partisan politics but in feeling a sense of disquiet about both major political parties—and about our entire system….

Where might this all lead? I am no better at predicting the future than anyone else. I think there are many others like me who are just as puzzled….

…At the very least, I hope we will cease to be a nation at ease with torture and inequality, a country that once again steers by its ideals."


Thomas E. Ricks is author of five books about the U.S. military, including Fiasco and The Generals.

No comments:

Post a Comment