Saturday, September 17, 2016

Trump Will Win Unless Decent People Unite
About a month ago I came to the conclusion that various forces are moving in an alignment that would result in a Trump presidency. I know this because my status update on Facebook records my every passing thought. This worried me a month ago and even more so now.

Yesterday Trump announced:

"I lied to you all, over and over for years. 

I was lying all along in order to boost my own brand at the expense of the American people by targeting the first African-American president with a blatantly false accusation designed to undermine his ability to solve the problems facing American families. 

I doubled down on that lie more than once. I ridiculed anyone who had the nerve to challenge me with 'facts.' And I was lying. I made it all up. 

For years I told a story in the news and demanded attention because I wanted to mislead Americans. I wanted to make it harder for our president to fix the problems we face. And I did it to build my brand as a truth teller, because (as I have said before) some voters are so stupid they will believe even the most outrageous lie is an illustration of truth telling if a rich white guy says it angrily and often enough. 

I lied over and over again and today I stand before you to say I lied, on purpose and knowingly. You are correct to conclude that you cannot trust anything I say and I am giving you more evidence of that today, announcing that...as we have all known all along...the president was indeed born in America."

Then his poll numbers went up.

Then he shot a thug in Times Square with TV cameras all around that he invited to the event. And his poll numbers went up as the news covered affluent white voters gleefully wearing 'We are the Deplorables' t-shirts only just visible beneath their hoods.

Yes, we should all be concerned, because while DT is ignorant about domestic and foreign policy, and so unaware of his ignorance that he proudly asserts that he is his expert adviser, he knows more than the generals, and Mexico will pay for the wall that will never be built...while his ignorance is on display daily...he is a brilliant huckster, using his skills to capture and control each daily news cycle.

And he will win unless all decent Americans--on all sides--come together behind Clinton. Let me be clear: I disagree with Clinton on many issues. She is far to hawkish for me. She and her husband drove the War on Drugs, creating enormous harms. But this is not a normal election. The 'other side' is not just the candidate I like less--he is an existential threat to the great American experiment.

As a citizen I am calling on decent citizens in both parties to unite around rejecting Trumpism.

As a Democrat I am calling on all decent party members on all sides to unite around rejecting Trumpism. To do this, we need to agree that rejecting Trumpism does not mean rejecting other Republican candidates.

I recognize that this makes it harder for my Republican friends to sign on to this. But it is hard for both sides, because we have to trust each other. However, If my Republican friends will promise to split their ballot and vote Democrat at the top of the ballot, I will promise to do that same and vote for at least two Republicans in other races on the ballot.

It is that important.

No comments:

Post a Comment