Thursday, October 13, 2016

Chain of Command
As a young, untenured, professor I lived 'outside the chain of command.' Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes not so much, often unconsciously, it seemed I nearly always chose to speak directly with the Provost or President, rather than work an idea up from my Chair, to my Dean, and beyond. I am sure my engaged candor was mostly seen as being a pain in the ass by administrators.

Now, as a lowly associate dean, when I see other faculty doing the same, I want to explain two things I have learned since my own days in the wild west.

First, going directly to the source is, often, very useful and positive. But keep in mind that treating this as our default undermines the formal institutional channels of communication that faculty rely on if we want to have a reliable and real impact on shared governance. So, it is best to see these adventures outside the chain as selective and intentional, rather than the most well-worn path. It is also important to go the extra mile to make these as civil as possible, focused on problem solving rather than just complaining.

Second, it is important to recognize the value of strengthening the chain of command, particularly in an organization (like many) where transparent and timely communication is a challenge. Communicating up the chain, when possible, strengthens Faculty Senate, the union, and even individual academic units by enhancing the formal pathways and institutional networks designed to guide decision making.

Either I have lost my way or there is the beginnings of a decent idea here somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment