Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Elections are Tough on the Heart and Soul
Three women I work with, each of whom I consider an engaged and thoughtful colleague and friend, suggested today that they are wavering between not voting or supporting Trump. One noted and another agreed that he is "a smart man," with a vague reference to his business experience and added, again to agreement, that we "need a fresh face." All three repeated more than once that "she cannot be trusted."

These are very intelligent women my age, with professional jobs. And the tone of their voices indicated to me that these are not the casual statements of those not paying attention. Their was a touch of venom every time one repeated "she cannot be trusted."

Our conversation was not long, but it has stuck with me all day. I wish I had simply said, "I just don't want a generation of our boys growing up with a misogynist as their role model." Instead, I just noted that he is "dangerous," and her corruption is within the normal range, while he is unstable and dangerous.

Yes, I repeated "dangerous" more than once. I was a bit at a loss for words, because I really like all three of these colleagues. I felt weak and cowardly.

With no insult intended, it felt like it would do not good to point out that all the major fact check organizations have found not only that HRC is more honest than Trump (by a long shot) but she is also more honest than most politicians.

Nor did it seem like noting that Wall Street Journal analysis showed that Trump's fortune is less than what he would have had if he had put his father's inheritance into a standard IRA like an retiree does...hardly business savvy.

At least one mentioned she had not heard the recent tape of Trump on the bus, but I quickly dismissed send that to them. Seems like the violates some unspoken work-related boundary, given the political and explicit nature of that recording.

So, I feel stuck.

It is possible that they are Fox News viewers, but if that is the case it is even less likely they will be moved by learning that studies have shown FN viewers are 4 times more misinformed (by their daily news source) than any other viewers.

One mentioned watching the SNL skits and it seemed at least one other might have as well. Is art and satire coming to the rescue again? Is that the only avenue into our otherwise walled off worlds today?

It is possible they just did not want to reveal to anyone who they plan to vote for, but it felt like these were three who would not consider voting for HRC. I could be wrong; would not be the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment