Sunday, October 9, 2016

Empathy Gap
While I remain concerned that Trump might still win, because the anger and frustration he has tapped into is real and pre-existed his vanity candidacy...today I am feeling sorry for my Republican friends.

For me, there is no doubt that Trump has revealed himself to be entirely unqualified to lead, indecent, ignorant, and dangerous. For me, that means supporting a candidate in my own party who is too hawkish and close to Wall Street for me. But that is nothing compared to the choice my Republican friends are facing.

But since Trump was a Democrat about 20 minutes ago, let's imagine that he was somehow the Democratic Party candidate. (Do not dismiss the idea, because we all dismissed the idea that he would ever become the Republican Party candidate too.)

If he was the candidate of my party, would I vote for Romney or Bush, McCain or Rubio or even Ted Cruz?

Yes.

Without hesitation.

He is that dangerous.

The list of his deplorable characteristics is long, but for me at the core of all of that is that he has a complete lack of empathy for others. So, in opposing him I want to be as empathetic as possible, recognizing the very real pain many of my Republican friends are experiencing right now.

It stinks, but the right thing to do remains clear: we all must unite to reject Trumpism.

No comments:

Post a Comment