Sunday, August 25, 2013

Loving Life with Julie
Sitting on our beautiful and expansive porch eating dinner tonight it is difficult to imagine no longer living in our 1915 arts & crafts home.  The woodwork has never been painted and previous owners have all taken loving care of this place.  I have gardened here for fifteen years.  We raised Philip and Brian here.  This has always been Annie’s dog house.  We created the big modern kitchen designed for those who love to cook or to sit at the island while others cook.  We created the spectacular second floor bathroom.  Actually Julie envisioned each and we made them happen.  This place has a lot of us in it.
But moving on is also about keeping the adventurous spirit alive, reaching for the new and unfamiliar because we believe on a balance the change—however disruptive—will be a good thing. Apartment living will not come with an expansive porch; or with lawn care and that is a novel idea.  Investing in a home near family in RI where we will retire; that is an good, adventurous, disruptive plan.
Julie continues to be good for me.  We bring different perspectives and energies, and have found a way to sync them into a strong relationship.  Julie is nearly always looking for the novel, seeking out the greener grass.  I am nearly always looking to dig in deeper and learn more about the where and who of the place I am in now, even as I have also been more ready than most to pick up and move when an opportunity comes up.  So, I might sit pat at 162 for the duration, without a push from Julie or the lure of a year abroad, because this is a good place and I feel like there is so much more for me to learn about it. 
Instead, Jules has it right here.  It is time to disrupt and embrace another adventure.  Apartment living here, walkable to work, and investing in a beautiful retirement home at the same time is a cool idea.  Scary in some ways, because there are so many questions and we have it so great now, so it will be tough to beat this.  I trust Jules and I trust my trust of Jules.  This will work out well and I am very excited about our next adventure together.

No comments:

Post a Comment