Thursday, August 1, 2013

Pope Pushing Humility
Change is hard.  So I have some sympathy for Catholics whose lives feel disrupted by Pope Francis’message to love the sinner, hate the sin, with a humility that precludes us from standing in judgment of others. 

But only a little, since the tendency to see being a Christian as nearly all about the power and duty to stand in judgment of others is, in my view, deeply non-Christ-like. 

I hope that those who have been misled into living as if humility and service were optional Christian virtues will make it through the difficult transition back to the daily struggle to humbly serve, to engage with love, to forgive and refrain from judging.
While my own struggle is often a miserable failure, I am thankful that my mother and father pointed me in the right direction and continue to be exemplary role models of humility and service with love.  For the first time in my memory, we have a Pope reinforcing the message of kindness and love I have always appreciated, even though it remains painfully challenging, from my parents.

Humility might also help us both better understand the importance of our partnership with China and the rise of a stable, strong and peaceful Chinese democracy...where humility is also a much needed leadership skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment