Sunday, February 14, 2016

Beyonce
Okay, let me start by saying I doubt I would recognize a Beyonce song on the radio or even be able to pick her out of a line up.  

But I did see the half time show and thought nothing of it until the next day when it was at the center of a firestorm. 

I see understanding this as requiring two steps.

This image helps me see Beyonce's performance as some who see the world very differently from me might see it.  This image helps me see how images like the confederate flag or panther-like attire have meaning.  

Then, I feel obligated to go one step further, because while this image helps me see something in her performance that I otherwise missed, these are not equivalent.  

When the powerful group uses racist images to prolong and deepen and extend their intimidation and subordination of the power-poor group, that is racism...using race as a tool to preserve white privilege.  

When the power-poor group uses images rooted in their own history of resistance to racism to remind us that we still have a long way to go in the context of Tamir Rice and Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown, Jamaal Crawford and Sandra Bland and more...this is resistance to racism.  

It is important to be able to see and appreciate and honor competing and alternative perspectives and to do this in two steps so that doing this is never confused with claiming a moral equivalency where there is none.

No comments:

Post a Comment