Friday, June 23, 2017

Good Days

Hot coffee first thing, with brilliantly bright sunshine flooding in through our mini-big-room's six large windows that encompass the entire exterior wall. Feed and walk Annie.

Turn on my computer and with my phone and notepads spend each day with an amazing view, working through challenges, big and small, to help our faculty help our students graduate.

Then, at 4:30 into the yard. While the rhodies and azaleas were exploding with color, we moved a massive volume of oak leaves and the now-blooming mountain laurels and wild blueberry patch seem to appreciate the breathing room.

Cut the grass twice already and each time that catalyzes a strenuous couple of hours building my leaf compost piles.

Our year one pile1 in the semi-circle has burned down impressively into soil without even a turn. Year one pile2 is what I used to create my own first pile with green integrated at the end of last summer, using up about 20% of pile2.

This summer I am using my fresh cut grass to turn the remaining 80% of that pile, and about 2/3 of that job is done already.

Satisfying work. I particularly like the combination of intensive mental labor most of the day, in a beautiful location, followed by strenuous physical labor at the end of the day.

Then Julie and I go visit my parents to top it off perfectly!

Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment