Saturday, September 23, 2017

Ambush or Alternative Perspective
Yesterday I was feeling ambushed. My younger self would have fought back, likely with passion and self-righteousness. Yesterday, however, I thought 'I trust these folks, so there must be something I am missing here.' Instead of digging in, I simply said 'okay.'

Immediately afterwards, I still felt like I was ambushed. But following some reflection I believe that this was an illustration of two competing perspectives coming into conflict. There was certainly a disagreement. I was not being attacked as much as my perspective was being challenged by an alternative view.

I still think my own approach is the path we should have taken. But I now see that the alternative path also has its merits and, further, those advocating for this alternative path know more about the context and consequences surrounding this decision.

So, it turns out to have been a normal disagreement where a clash led to an agreement, involving some compromise on both sides, on how to move forward. My younger self would have behaved in ways that would have blocked both the better outcome and the insight that results. We can be right or we can be in relationships.

Sometimes, though not in the situation I just described, the competing perspectives can be both miles apart and framed in ways to amplify the chasm. When perspectives clash, this is both an everyday routine occurrence, and a challenge and call to become leaders in our own lives.

My colleagues yesterday were open and honest and loving and candid in bringing their disagreement to my attention. I am happy to say I was more loving and open and honest and candid in my response than my younger self would likely have been. Allowing me to learn from them and to get us to an improved outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment